Sunday, November 7, 2010

I wrote this to my mom. She and I both live without Gluten. She is planning a trip to New Orleans.
-------------------------------------------------------
I was thinking, have you traveled Gluten Free (GF) yet? Maybe you have, maybe you have not? Here are some of my tips.

I know you'll be staying with family but you will also have car trips etc.

I always bring trail mix. A handful substitutes for a light meal and it doesn't need refrigeration or cooking. I used Aldi's Fit & Active Trail Mix. It has raw pecans, almonds, hazel nuts, walnuts & a splash of raisins & craisins.

I like to carry my spray bottle of Braggs.

I try to find what I can eat of what others are eating, sandwiches can be rolled in one piece of lettuce or ingredients can be eaten separately. Two servings of peas instead of a roll. I know you do this well.

Most restaurants have something but some are VERY tricky.

Bunny told me breakfast is usually safe but I found out many restaurants add pancake batter to their omelets. So I ask. IHOP does but also has a healthy choice egg substitute omelete that is GF.

I have ordered sandwiches at fast food restaurants sans bread. They all accommodate thinking I am on the Atkins Diet. They'll allow doubling the lettuce & tomato too.

Popeys - red beans & rice are GF so is the french fries and coleslaw. Green beans are crazy. They have wheat flour & wheat gluten added.

McDonalds - an easy cheap meal, 2 side salads & a cup of H2O. It'll cost $2 + tax. I use 1 Caesar dressing for both salads. Fries are GF. There are more expensive salads but I wasn't really impressed. They also sell apple slices but I don't usually get them. Got a really nice fruit smoothie there for another $2.

Wendys - chili, fries & baked potatoes are all GF.

Taco bell -stick with hard shells, yummy.

Cracker Barrel - it was one of aunt annie;s favorites. They say these items are GF safe: bacon, sausage, grilled catfish, grilled chicken tenders, hamburger steak, rib eye & sirloin steaks, apple sauce, carrots, corn, green beans, pinto beans & turnip greens.

I never heard of anyone who thickens their jambalaya. Gumbo will be thickened but some families always used corn starch.

Many big chains have GF menus but I sometimes get frustrated trying to figure it out when I am hungry. PF Changs, Ruby Tues., Chilis, etc.

I don't know what to do about beignets & muffallattas. I am leaning toward ordering a muff without bread or handing them GF bread to make the sandwich on.

Hope this helps.

No comments: