Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy Mardi Gras 2012

Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, New Orleans, Carnival, Café au lait, Beignets, Spring Rituals, Right-of-passage
Mardi Gras Snack Café au Lait and Beignets
Happy Mardi Gras 2012 I actually haven't been to Happy Mardi Gras (which is French for "Fat Tuesday") in New Orleans since 1987. It's been 25 years. I attended every Mardi Gras of my life up until that point. There were Happy Mardi Gras and sad ones; stormy, cold and wet ones and even a few hot and muggy ones. That last Mardi Gras that I attended on Tuesday March 3, 1987 was wonderful. The weather was sunny, cool and crisp. I started my journey uptown at the intersection of Napoleon (actually Gen. Pershing) and St. Charles. I watched Rex and one of my favorites Zulu. Then of course the trucks. For someone not born in the crescent city. Most of the parades are Krewes (private clubs) of the wealthier families. The trucks are Krewes that are little less restrictive. I don't know what the exact membership requirements but I knew middle class and blue collar families who participated in those. The trucks also spent their time, money and effort on the throws instead of the float, costume or ball. I knew a family who used to sew up hundreds of bean bags to throw. There is pretty good live coverage at Experience Mardi Gras 2012

No comments: